Wednesday 28 January 2015

Birthday celebrations?



So two days ago I turned 21. I have never been really keen on birthdays. We all age whether we like it or not. Just a week before my birthday, my mum was asking me what I would like for my birthday and if I wanted to have a party. My first thought was, 'WHAT?' I never really understood why people have birthday parties, especially the ones that you have to plan for yourself and hope people would turn up and wish you and hopefully give you something. Does that even make sense? Like you spend almost a grand or more just to get people to wish you. In my opinion, that's pretty pathetic.


Becoming 16, 18 and 21 seems like a big deal in most countries around that world. Maybe it is, because that the age when you become independent and your parents have all the rights to ask you to get out of the house. And if that's the case, then it's fine to have a huge celebration since you wouldn't need to depend on anyone but yourself after that.

I have attached a few video of 21st birthday celebration in Malaysia (where I'm from).
These people celebrate their birthdays as grand as engagement parties and weddings. I'm not saying that it's wrong, but is it necessary?

I am an Asian and I believe that most Asian parents will never allow their children to move out even after their 21st birthday. I know that because my parents have told me that as long as I depend on them in anyway such as home, money or anything, I am still dependant on them. I absolutely agree with them. I know that I will be depending on them till I get a stable job and till then I'm dependant.
The whole celebration of the 21st birthday is to give the child a key to their life and that signifies freedom. But what's the point of getting the key when there isn't any freedom ?

I would rather use that money to pay for my university fee or why not a nice vacation with family and close friends? I think that's a wiser way to do things in life. I'm sure those people who do have these grand birthday celebration would someday have a thought of why did they blow off that amount on money on people who don't really matter.


Unless you are just born rich and you don't know what to do with all that money, let me suggest something. Go donate it to the unfortunate. Honestly, the satisfaction of giving and helping cannot beat any feeling in the world. Besides that, you would get genuine happiness out of an act of kindness. What else could make you feel better on a special day of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment